Overland Tours…. Good or Bad???: Backpacking Africa and Mzungu Tribe

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Camilla 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Camilla

Has anyone taken an organized overland tour before? It seems like a lot of money, but I’m afraid I won’t meet any travelers and I don’t want to be alone 🙁 Thoughts??

#464 Reply

Val Bowden
    Keymaster

Hey Camilla! Seriously overland tours are complete shit in my opinion so definitely avoid them. Where were you at in Africa? There are definitely a lot of other travelers depending on where you go. In fact I would run into the same people over and over. I met one American guy in Malawi, ran into him in Zanzibar, and then again in Uganda. It was crazy. I also met some Dutch backpackers and somehow our group got bigger and bigger so it ended up being about 10 people traveling together for almost 1-2 months with a few people coming in and out of the group. It’s pretty natural to meet someone and then just travel with them for a week or so. So yes you definitely won’t always be alone. In fact, I highly recommend starting in South Africa. That’s the country with the most backpackers.

After a couple of months of my journey I felt comfortable enough that I liked to break away and get off the grid for a while. So there were some places I’d go to where I was told only 2-3 foreigners visit a year. But if that’s not your style you can just stick to the main areas too. The places with the most backpackers are: All of South Africa, Tofo and Vilianculous in Mozambique, Victoria Falls, Lake Malawi (Cape Mc Clear and Nkahata Bay), and Zanzibar.

I typically stayed at Backpacker resorts/hostels and that’s how I met other people. To find a lodge you can check hostelworld.com or buy a Lonely Planet

But you’ll have such a good time I promise! And you definitely won’t be alone. Honestly, I never felt alone because even on a bus the people beside me would talk. In fact, I can be somewhat introverted at times, so I ended up buying a tent, partly to save money, but also partly to have a place to be alone. lol. So trust me you won’t get lonely, and you’ll have such an amazing journey! African countries are sooo beautiful, have the kindest locals, and you’ll meet backpackers from all over the world. I still keep up with almost all the people I met along the way, and I”m sure you will too. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help 🙂

PS- Watch this quick video for more reasons not to use an overland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLfeUhRfjI

#469 Reply

Camilla

Thanks so much for replying! I also checked this article out on your blog and it really helped too (http://backpackingafricaforbeginners.com/how-to-travel-africa-solo-even-as-a-girl/). I guess I’m going solo! 🙂 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Overland Tours…. Good or Bad???
Your information:

Comments are closed.

Upcoming Events for Backpackers across Africa
  1. Mount Mulanje Porters Race: Extreme, Challenging, & Memorable

July 8
Book

IT'S FINALLY HERE!

Are you ready for the adventure of a lifetime? Do you want to see the real Africa and make some incredible memories?

Published Date : Jan 15, 2015

Description : This book is intended for beginner travelers to africa...